Travel PTA Rates

Travel PTA Rates

Posted by ilaurain on Mar 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Hello forum. I have a quick question that has probably come up a few times before, but i am horrible at searching old threads.  I am an LPTA that has exactly 2 years of SNF experience at this date. I am looking to start travel SNF employment soon. I currently earn 32.75 hourly at my permanent placement job.  I have been told by a reqruiter to expect a weekly after taxes take home pay of 1170.  I currently take home 1050 a week after taxes for 40 hrs.  At this rate the travel gig does not really have any monetary benefit to me.  After talking to some others here and there, i was informed to not accept less than 1300 a week take home after taxes.  Do any of you have input on this?   I do understand that some locations pay more or less than others, but to my understanding 1300 is a valid number that I should expect.  Ofcourse this does not include travel pay from site to site.

Re: Travel PTA Rates

Posted by bmantip on Sep 16, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi Ilaurain,
I'm about to start my first travel assignement next week and after taxes I'm looking at a take home 1175 for 40 hours. I have been a PTA for 15 months now so since it's my 1st assignment I may have got low-balled a bit but its still not bad money. I assume with each assignment I will be able to ask for an increase without it being a big deal even if it would be 25 to 50 dollars more a week. So the way I see it, after 3 or 4 assigments I should be close to the 1300 range so I'm willing to be a little patient. The part that I like is that my housing and meal combine are 770 for the week while my taxable income is 540. So if I work 48 weeks out of the year (cause I will probably take a week off between assigments) and get 770 a week for housing and meals then that's 37,000 non-taxable income while my taxable income is around 26,000 which makes it nice when is comes to tax time at the end of the year. So combine I would be looking at 63,000 for 48 weeks of work even if I didn't have an increase, but as I said earlier, with each assisgment I wil ask for an increase in pay....Don't get me wrong, you making almost 33 an hour is awesome but you sure get taxed the heck out of

Re: Travel PTA Rates

Posted by bostoncowgirl on May 31, 2017 3:30 pm

I know I am a little "late to the party" on this one, but I am having the same problem. I want to travel, but don't want to give up my apartment. I don't think I can afford to have both! I was under the impression that travel/contract positions made so much more!