Productivity Advice

Productivity Advice

Posted by freshhcorduroy on Nov 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello Everyone! I am just looking for any advice, helpful tips on how to boost my productivity. I am an OTR in a SNF, it is my first job, just finished my 3rd week, and I really need to get my productivity up. I feel like I am working very hard, but it does not reflect in my % and I need to find more efficient ways so it does reflect it.

So far I have come up with:

-Use our rehab aid to do any transports that can save me time
-Bring a laptop with me for evals- and type them up as I go
-Try to set some sort of schedule with my patients so that I do not get as many refusals, or time conflicts which has wasted time walking up & down the hallways
-Work on paperwork, progress reports etc, during treatment time when applicable
-Write a goal bank of common goals
-Plan my day outmore specifically so I can understand how much time I actually have for paperwork without pt's. 

Are there any helpful strategies that anyone has employed to save time and be more efficient? I am nervous that if I can't significantly improve my productivity the facility will cancel the contract. 

Thanks!

Re: Productivity Advice

Posted by dianomal on Dec 2, 2012 8:45 pm

First of all, hang in there, a SNF travel job, especially as your first travel job, and do I remember you are a new grad (?) is really a challenge, ( I am being diplomatic here)  
Most  SNF's now employ for-profit rehab contractors to operate the rehab department, resulting in an IMPOSSIBLE productivity expectation.  You and your patients are human beings, not machines.
Do your best, all your ideas are good, but remember, you can only be as productuve as your patients can tolerate treatment.  Don't cave to the pressure that results in fraud.  I have been asked to chart minutes one day and get them the next.  No job is worth your license.  
They knew you were new, they should have been prepared to mentor you, but usually they take newbies in order to take advantage of inexperience.  
Now, on the other hand, working in a good snf can be a lot of fun, so if it is a bad experience, dont let it keep you from trying another.  
There are minutes that can be delivered in group therapy, make sure you use them.  PT and ST can take up the slack if the patient reponds better to engagement there.  Have they actually said they might cancel you if you are not more productive?  How productive do they expect you to be?  If not, stop streeing, if so, talk to your recruiter.  
I found the best way to make minutes was to try an schedule them before another therapy or activity and take them to the bathroom!  Nurses will love you, patient will love you, every minute is productive.  And the next activity will not be interrupted for a bathroom break.  
Good Luck
Diane

Posted by LauraPTA08 on Dec 6, 2012 10:51 pm

Great advice given. I am a PTA working in a SNF after leaving 3.5yrs of home health. I am pretty anal so my productivity stays between 95-99%.
Sometimes you can't get all of your treatment in one sitting so I split my treatments up through the day if I have to. 
I normally start with coming in in the morning and helping the CNA's get the pts out of bed or I & the OT will assist with bathing & bed mobility. That counts as time. OT will assit with dressing, that counts as time. We instruct CNA's on proper body mechanics and assitance they should provide pts during transfers...counts as time & teaching to improve pt's mobility and independance...especially if they are going home. We get them up so they can eat and later come down for some one on one therapy or group therapy time. For those who normally refuse, I just keep going back and use education, motivation, and any type of movement I can as time. At some point they are going to get up or perform some kind of transfers.
I do not use anyone to get my patients for me as....this counts as time as well: getting them to ambulate or wheel chair mobility, or time for teaching/education/motivation. I try to make coming to therapy fun by playing games, using obsticle courses, balance activities....you want to think outside of the box, stay on your toes, find anything that makes them either feel at home, feel young again, or gets the grumpy moods go away. Some have given up by the time they come to the SNF so taking your mind off of productivity & paperwork & thinking about the fact that some have come to the SNF for the last stop (as I am sure you are already thinking).
I was told by my RD, to also use documentation time as time....progress notes. If I have to I use about 5 min of treatment time for progress notes by assessing their progression and documenting it. 
Most of the time I do my documentation during lunch, during treatment, or at the end of the day.
I hope that gives you some help. SNF are challenging, but i like it so much better then home health. Thinking outside of the box was what helped me...oh, I also figured out my time at the begining of the day. I took my treatment minutes, at the end of my DAR, and put those minutes into minutestohours.com & it tells me the exact time I have to get 100% productivity, then I add 10-15mins to that to bring me between 95-98%
Hope that helps.

Posted by freshhcorduroy on Dec 7, 2012 5:49 pm

Thank you both so much for your great advice, I appreciate it! My productivity has definitely been improving, it just takes a little extra planning and a lot more point of service documentation which is a step in the right direction. 

Posted by joedarris on Dec 8, 2012 8:04 pm

If you have a decent program manager you shouldn't have to worry about productivity.
For those about to rock we salute you!!

Posted by bmantip on May 31, 2017 6:17 pm

LauraPTA08,
What fantastic advice. Wish I had read your post 2 years ago LOL. When 1st doing therapy in SNF it can be a real smack in the face. Once you understand the art of claiming your time properly, such as bed mobility, all functional transfers and other various actvities, working in a SNF isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The standard 90% productivity rate can be a real headache when you 1st start but as time goes on we all learn time management better and what all you can bill for. I had no clue about billing minutes for progress notes, HEP, RNP and pt education. We all find astime goes on, we all have pt's where you are gald you have otherwaysto bill cause sometimes they may not do any Exercises but they will do gait training, or see if they need to go to the bathroom, cause then you are allowed to bill for the assistance of the transfers what level of assitance they are.