I need some help

I need some help

Posted by phil001 on May 2, 2017 2:29 am

Hi all,

I stay in California with my wife and daughter. We have some relatives and friends in Canada. So we are planning to visit Canada the coming holidays.

But there is a small problem.

I was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol. I was addicted to drinks back then, but I have changed after coming out from the rehab. It's been 4 years since the incident. Now I am afraid this will cause a problem for my entry into Canada. So I want to know if you can  go to Canada with a DUI.

I searched on the internet and found some information. I read that there are 2 options for a DUI convict. Either I will have to wait for 5 years after the completion of the sentence or apply for a Temporary resident permit (TRP). Since it's been just 4 years since the incident, I am left with the second option of getting a TRP.

I would like to know about this. How long does the whole procedure take? And should I approach an attorney for this? Has anyone traveled to Canada with a DUI?

My daughter is really excited about this trip and I don’t want to let her down because of the mistakes I did in my past. Even though I stopped drinking and have moved forward in my life, seems like the dark shades of my past will haunt me forever.