Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Posted by ChanaOT on Jun 27, 2015 9:03 am

If there is a time lapse between travel assignments, do travelers still get health coverage from the travel company's health insurance policy? Is there a limited time duration? Does it matter what the time lapse is due to? (i.e. personal choice vs. delays in licensure obtainment etc.)
Chana Sandberg

Re: Health Insurance

Posted by jade on Jul 20, 2015 10:03 am

Of course, you have to check with your specific Travel Company, because each may have a slightly different variation of this rule. But in general, technically, you can take off however long you like in between assignments. But if you are looking for how much time off you can take and still get health insurance, it is usually 1 month. However, there is still a catch. It is not free. You have to arrange for this ahead of time, and you usually have to have another job lined up (with that company) within the month in order to continue with your health insurance. I am with Cirrus. They charge me $100/wk to continue health insurance in between assignments. (there goes my completion bonus) I assume that is fairly typical. You would continue with your 'current' insurance policy that you had while employed with that company.
I think that if you have a job lined up with that company and for some reason the job is delayed (like license issue) you may be able to negotiate with your company to get a few extra weeks of health insurance. If you have worked with a company, and they see you are a reliable employee and are planning to continue employment with them, you may be able to negotiate your needs more easily. 
Hope that answers your questions. 

Re: Health Insurance

Posted by ChanaOT on Jul 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks!
Chana Sandberg