Housing stipend

Housing stipend

Posted by driven2012 on Jun 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Has anyone every heard that a company will not give you the housing stipend if you find your own place? It was my past exprience that they give you housing stipend in your check to cover the housing if you find it on your own... Is this not true bc  I am currently with accountable healthcare and the recrutier say we play if you allow us to find your home we take it out your check. However, it that not the same thing as me paying it on my own now... im confused help me. I m thinking to terminate this assignment.

Re: Housing stipend

Posted by iowagypsy on Jun 17, 2015 1:30 pm

In 5 years of traveling with 4 different recruiting companies ,that is a first. They offer no per diem for housing ,food ? Do you have a high hourly wage.

Posted by jade on Jul 20, 2015 10:18 am

I would finish my assignment, but certainly DO NOT continue with them. Sounds like they are trying to keep all the extra money they can. If a Travel Company gives you (say) $1200/mth for a housing stipend and they pay $1200 for your housing, that money is spent. Why should they care if you found a place for $500 and you kept the remainder $700? It would still be $1200 spent. Makes no sense, except they want that extra $700. Most companies nowadays would prefer you find your own place. Saves them staff and time. 
      Of course, if your current companies offer a lot of money for your travel, or offer you a huge completion bonus, they may be trying to compensate for that money with some of your housing money. So I guess you have to look at what other benefits your company is offering besides just your take home pay.
     Most companies work on the up and up, so do your homework and look for a new company for your next assignment. Travel nursing is not as lucrative as many people think it is, but we still make a decent living without feeling taken advantage of by our companies. I currently work for Cirrus Medical Staffing. I feel they have been pretty fair with me. I prefer to find my own housing. Bothersome, yes. But I can usually find something cheaper than my stipend, so I feel like I come out ahead. I have also been able to find some pretty nice accommodations, that I may not have had if I had let a company put me in a noisy/dirty apartment. Best of luck to you!!

Posted by driven2012 on Aug 5, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks, I am not continuing with this company. But the placement was grerat becuase the hospital asked me to go perm but I still want to travel for a little bit longer.

Posted by Superdenny on Jan 15, 2016 1:46 pm

I did a contract with Accountable last year and they told me they would pay me the housing stipend if I wanted to find my own place or I could have them take care of it and they would deduct the stipend from my rate . I opted to have them find housing . But next time I sign with them I would take care of it myself .