new to travelling, hoping to RV it

new to travelling, hoping to RV it

Posted by mmbrevo on Apr 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi all,
I am hoping to start travelling next winter/spring. Due to having pets, I would like to buy an RV. 
Are folks out there doing this? Are you able to find sites? Most of the sites I am seeing only post daily rates. What are the monthly rates running? 
Does your housing allowance cover this? Do you feel this limits your options for assignments?
I'd be grateful for any input!

Re: new to travelling, hoping to RV it

Posted by Scallihan84 on May 1, 2016 2:19 pm

I don't have any answers yet, but I've also been considering a camper trailer or rv for future assignments. I travel with my dog & it can be pretty tough to find a place to stay in rural areas, especially if you would like something somewhat furnished.  I don't know if finding campgrounds or rv parks would actually make traveling easier or more difficult. I know that some sites have monthly rates that are discounted compared to daily rates. Temporary campsites/ rv parks will also often have limits on how long you can stay, so that could complicate travels a bit.

Glad you posed the question, maybe someone out there can enlighten us.

Posted by radiantfire on Oct 2, 2016 5:37 am

Did you end up RV'ing it?

We have a travel trailer.  Some places/locations/cities are more RV friendly than others.  What I have found is that during summer travel it is difficult to procure an RV site unless you have an advanced reservation.  Good luck knowing where you'll be next summer right now! 

You have to ask about monthly rates.  Most places have monthly spots but they may not be willing to advertise them or their prices.  My hubby and I usually have to do a lot of door-to-door, face-to-face contact and a lot of driving around to find a spot that fits our needs.  We have a dog who has a lot of wiggles and needs a place to walk/run/play frisbee.  We also need decent wi-fi service.  We prefer a decent distance to whatever facility I will be working at/commuting to.  Those are some pretty stiff standards and they are not always easy to meet.  What we've found is that we benefit from driving around and getting to know the area.  We often stumble on locations that are not advertised and never would have found if we had not been exploring. 

It's nice to have your house with you wherever you go. 

Posted by mmbrevo on Oct 3, 2016 8:25 am

radiantfire,
Thank you for responding, although your response leaves me a bit discouraged. I have not hit the road yet but I am still hoping to do so soon. 
So, in addition to having trouble finding sites in the summer, do you not also have trouble finding sites in the winter as the snow birds head south?
When you say that you drive around getting to know the area, are you saying that you drive to the area of your assignment without having a site lined up? I'm very excited to do this, but it is a bit scary.

Posted by radiantfire on Oct 3, 2016 10:00 am

Having a travel trailer is about adventure.  Being a travel nurse is about adventure, right?  So you take it as it comes.  

So far, winter/spring has not been as difficult for finding RV sites.  It also really depends on the location.  For example, Denver is not an RV friendly city--not a lot of RV parks, expensive monthly rates, nothing close to a facility, etc.  So if you take an assignment in Denver with an RV, you do it knowing you will have to compromise on your commute time.  It's all about what's important to you.  If you really want to go to Denver and the assignment seems good, then go.  If not having a good commute time is a dealbreaker, then don't go to Denver.  See what I'm getting at?  There are so many travel assignments in so many locations, you have a lot of options.  So again, I emphasize, don't be discouraged.   A good life worth living is not necessarily easy.  But the payoff is almost always worth it.  And you learn lessons as you go.  

Travel while you can.  I hear a lot from friends/colleagues that they wished they had traveled.  So why do you want to travel?  Why do you want to have a travel trailer/RV while you travel?  Do you plan to do it long term?  

Yes, I am saying my hubby and I choose an assignment based on a couple of factors, the remainder of the factors get determined once we get to the general area and find a spot to stay.  

It takes some legwork on the front end and you have to be willing to go with a the flow a bit, but that's kind of the essence of travel nursing:  not knowing what's coming next but being able to land on your feet no matter what.

And if you have trouble finding a permanent place, Wal-Mart parking lots are generally open for you to park for free until you can find a spot.  And you may have to bounce a little until you find what you want.  Meaning go from one RV park to another {and pay the exorbitant daily or weekly fees} until you find what you're looking for.  We found the spot we're in now because my hubby wanted a sandwich.  We pulled into a parking lot and caught the back end of a few RVs, parked in a lot that was not advertised, and we would not otherwise have found it via our usual means if it hadn't been for that sandwich.  

So go with the flow of the adventure!  And have fun!  It is scary but it's worth it.  Good luck!

Posted by Runner3141 on Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I just saw this post!

I am a PTA looking to start traveling and thought a lot about buying an RV or small home as means of living. 
Has anyone heard of a Tumbleweed home?

Thanks for posting!

Posted by radiantfire on Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

The Tumbleweed homes have some advantages, as well as disadvantages, compared to an RV.

RVs  {some} have slides which can increase the inner width from 8 feet to potentially 12 feet--huge amount of space gained when slides are out.  Tumbleweed home has no slides--so very narrow living space, despite vertical space gains.  RVs are meant to be driven/towed--over roads, paved, unpaved, what-have-you.  Tumbleweed home not going to travel as well, won't hold up to uneven road surfaces.  That may not be an issue depending on how far from "home" you are planning to travel.  We travel from New Mexico and a lot of the roads over which we travel are not well maintained.  The stuff inside our RV stays put, the appliances are stable, in essence, our RV is designed for towing.  A Tumbleweed home may not be able to "stabilize" the inside/outside as well over uneven surfaces.  Again, this may or may not matter depending on how far you are planning to travel  with the Tumbleweed home.  For all intents and purposes, you'll travel for a few days, then stay put for potentially months at a time.  Depending on how amenable the outside environment is, a smaller space {i.e. Tumbleweed home} may not be as important, particularly if you're going to be gone for 8-12 hours/day, 3-5 times per week.  Some people are happy to have a covered space where you can eat, relax, and sleep, and not much more.  So, a Tumbleweed home may be perfectly appropriate for your comfort levels.  I have a husband, a good sized Lab, and a cat.  We have more demands on our space while we are on assignment than if it were just me, by myself.  We also like to vacation/travel in our off time to places that are off-grid, dirt/gravel roads, sometimes we have to cross water, etc., so an RV made more sense for our lifestyle than a Tumbleweed home.  

You probably won't get it exactly right, no matter what your first purchase is.  The idea of living in a small/tiny space means there will always be things that need improving, depending on your lifestyle.  We have had many discussions about what we would do differently, how we could improve on our exisiting lifestyle, would we consider moving to a bigger space {fifth wheel} vs keeping our current travel trailer and amending it to better fit our needs.

Be open to the options, do your homework, see what other people have said about potential units you are considering {no doubt issues someone else has, you will also have}, figure the costs, and go with your gut--you won't be sorry.  This lifestyle is exciting and worth it!

Hope this helps!