Do you travel with pets?

Do you travel with pets?

Posted by Rebecca Herdlein on Mar 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Do you travel with your pets?

Share your story of the challenges and rewards of traveling with your beloved companions!

Community Pulse Question 3/23/11

Re: Do you travel with pets?

Posted by Jennifer Clay on Mar 24, 2011 7:52 pm

I want to tell this story...and I thought this is the place to tell it. Philip and I travel with our two dogs...Baker, a Golden Retriever and Macie, a mini schnauzer. They enjoy the traveling life. Baker is an avid hiker, swimmer and frisbee catcher. Macie loves hiking, fetching balls, barking and snuggling. So last week Philip and I went for a Saturday hike (taking advantage of sunshine in the Pacific Northwest)...we took Baker with us but took Macie stayed home for this hike. Along the way we met several dogs and hikers and mountain bikers...as it is a huge mountain biking area. So, on our way back to the car we saw a big dog and two men...said hello and went on our way. As we loaded into the car, we saw this dog run across the road to the parking area and he was wandering in the parking area. With a busy road nearby, we lured him close with Wendy's french fries left over from lunch and hooked a leash on him quickly...he was kinda skiddish. We waiting a while thinking his family was probably close behind....but no one ever came. He seemed a little distressed and kept trying to jump up onto this car in the lot. After peeking in the window and seeing a doggie bowl and blanket in the back...we figured this must be her familys car. He had a tag on, so we called the vet, but for some reason the rabies tag # was not connected with a name or number of her owners. Not knowing what to do....we decided to leash him to thier bike rack, leave her some water, and leave a note on the car. So we did. The note said...."He came to this car, we thought it was his, if this isn't your dog, please take him to a local shelter or vet, we were worried to leave him by the busy road roaming free, and if you can, send out leash back to us"...and we left our name and address. We waited around a little while longer but no one ever came. Today, we recieved a package in the mail....inside was our leash, a note and $20 bucks....the note reads:

"I cannot thank you enough for rescueing my dog, Cuma. Your instincts were correct, he came to his owners car, We were out looking for him at the time...We suspected he might have headed to the car but we didn't want to give up the search. I will tag him with my cell number in addition to the vets number. It was very thoughtful of you to leave your leash behind to ensure Cuma was not hit by a car. He is a big part of out family . Both owner and dog were very glad to see each other. I will never forget what you did and I will look to return the facor to some stranger in need in the future. I will also keep a closer eye on my dog. Sincerely, Jerry."

The note made my day. Knowing how excited they were to be reunited at the end of the day and what Jerry must have been going through in the woods looking for him and not being able to find him. I can only imagine how long that walk back to the car was....and then to see him leashed to the car...I wish I would have been there to see it. SO, be sure and have a tag with your name and number on your animals in case they wander away!!! And remember this story when you find a wandering or lost dog...and imagine how worried thier families are...and do what you can to help!!
Jennifer L. Clay, COTA

Posted by amalone76 on Mar 28, 2011 7:03 pm

I want to travel with my pug, does anyone ever have issues with traveling with their dogs?

Posted by Wes Herdlein on Mar 28, 2011 9:50 pm

We travel with 3 large dogs.  We don't call it having "issues" but it sure makes traveling more challenging!  As a quick summary, we have trained our dogs to be very adaptable and well-behaved.  But we have to be adaptable also.  It takes longer to find housing and we almost always have to make some accommodations.  But...we would not have it any other way.  Our dogs are our "kids".

To find more discussions regarding traveling with dogs, type "dog" into the search bar at the top of the screen.  Several pages of forum posts, blog entries, member profiles, etc will appear.  It makes for good reading and might prove very helpful to you and your dog.

Travel On!
Wes Herdlein, P.T.

Posted by amarie86 on Apr 1, 2011 2:48 am

Does anyone have any experience with traveling with a cat? Any tips?

Posted by Manda on Apr 13, 2011 12:24 am

I travel with my orange tabby cat Tom-Tom who is 5 years old.  My first trip was not a good one as he was all over the car in a panic getting under the peddels, climbing up on me, to trying to get on the dashboard, and each hotel we were at he would find a place and hide not eating or drinking.  I was a little worried at first.  I took him out of his home of 3 years to live somewhere different every few months, what was I thinking!! 

Since 5 trips later he's a traveling kitty, he still gets a little nervous leaving but I think he's knows the plan by now.  He can't wait to get in the car and go and can tell when it's time to leave.  I even take him to the store if it's a quick trip or cool out, he loves it and to see people's face as I drive by and Tom-Tom looking out the window on my shoulder is even more funny.   I have my car packed to the limit and  his travel carrier sits in the back seat in the middle of everything looking out to the road.  Sometimes he comes out and sits on the console like a patio in the car from his box, I leave a cover there for him.  He loves to watch the cars and trees fly by.  As I'm driving his sleeping the whole time, but I soon as I stop he's out and looking around.  So I try to make long hauls if I'm travel cross country.

Traveling with cat(s) is somewhat a little different than dogs.  I have his cat box, which is covered up but undo it if it's a long haul for him and he knows that means do it now or else.  It's worked great but at times it can be like taking care of a child.  Hotels are a little harder to come by with pet fees and when it's not to hot or warm out I leave him in the car and he has done so well.  Of course I sneak him in most places, don't tell anyone.  LOL.  I think traveling with Tom-Tom has made my trips better and it's nice to have a friend to come home to.

Pets are great !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by amarie86 on Apr 24, 2011 2:55 am

So glad to hear that you've had good luck traveling with your cat Manda! I'm nervous about traveling with my 7 year old cat Sophie...she's never been to crazy about car rides. I'm hoping that after a few trips she will adapt and I'll have good luck like you. So do you keep the litter box in your car when it's time for your cat to use it or do you put it outside for him? I'm still trying to work out the details...I did get a harness and a leash for my cat. Seems silly but oh well I guess, whatever works! Any other tips?

Posted by Manda on Apr 27, 2011 12:38 am

There's up and downs when traveling with any pet but cats are funny about thier space.  I have his cat box in a big black plastic bag when traveling, Only because I don't want everyone to be looking at it heading down the road and I really dont like the smell of the dust that comes from it.  I often collect doggie poop bags and use to scoop his goodies and toss at the rest stop.  I only uncover his cat box it when it's been a long ride, most of the time it's at rest stops.  I usually pull back the bag and he has little space to use, since he's a male I have to be careful he doesn't make a waterfall in my car.  My mother and I usually have lunch or walk around and let him do his thing if he wants to, he does not like for anyone to watch him.  I leave it in the car only becasue were near the highway and I'll never find him if he runs off plus he will not use it outside.  It's a cat thing I guess for him.   My car is loaded from top to bottom so I make it easy to uncover if needed or to take into the hotel and they don't know what it is if I'm "sneaking" him in.  LOL.  He sure is picky alright!  Tom-Tom has only had one accident in his carrier when we first started traveling, since then he knows the plan.   I limit the food and water that he gets before and we start to travel.  My cat drinks water like crazy and since I always leave food and water out at the house, he's used to snacking all the time.  But on the road he mostly sleeps while I'm driving, but at times he's looking for snacks and water, so I know I'm going to have to get the box uncovered for him. 

With his cat carrier in the middle of us, his content but if I put the front gate on it his kitty gone wild.  He has a fit jumping, crying, and hissing.  But if I leave it off he will sit in there.  Again a toddler in many ways.  I only put the gate on his carrier if I'm in and out of the car otherwise he has roam of the car if he can get around.  It's a crowded mess at times.  LOL    Travel life.

So time for some harness and leash humor.  Before I first started to travel, I too went out and got a harness and leash for Tom-Tom hoping that I could walk him around.  Wrong!!  I put on the Harness on him and he fell over like I put my finger up and shot him Bang Bang your dead.  He didn't move, he acted like a toddler that lost their legs.  I almost died of laughing to hard.  So I connected the leash and draged him around the living room floor, still no movement from him.  It was too funny, he looked paralyzed from the neck down.  So I took back the harness and leash to PetsMart and was told that you have to train them very young to use a harness and leash.  Ok that idea was out.   A year later I got him a collar just in case he might run off. I put the collar on him and he ran and stayed under the bed for a day untill I took the collar off.  I haven't used it since.  It looked like I tortured the poor thing.  Now I'm looking at microchip because he's not having it any other way.  LOL.

I take him for walks outside while I follow him.  It's work ok but at times he don't listen most of the time.  Depending on where I'm at he does very well, He does not like hotels and the houses/apt that I've had been great so far.  I plan on getting a RV this year or next so traveling will be much better and will feel like home to Tom-Tom. 

Hope this helps, any more questions I'll be happy to answer. 

Posted by egolden on Nov 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Manda:

So time for some harness and leash humor.  Before I first started to travel, I too went out and got a harness and leash for Tom-Tom hoping that I could walk him around.  Wrong!!  I put on the Harness on him and he fell over like I put my finger up and shot him Bang Bang your dead.  He didn't move, he acted like a toddler that lost their legs.  I almost died of laughing to hard.  So I connected the leash and draged him around the living room floor, still no movement from him.  It was too funny, he looked paralyzed from the neck down.  So I took back the harness and leash to PetsMart and was told that you have to train them very young to use a harness and leash.  Ok that idea was out.   A year later I got him a collar just in case he might run off. I put the collar on him and he ran and stayed under the bed for a day untill I took the collar off.  I haven't used it since.  It looked like I tortured the poor thing.  Now I'm looking at microchip because he's not having it any other way.  LOL.

OMG. Only cat owners can appreciate this. Cats have such a mind of their own. Mine has had 2 trips here recently. The first time, she didn't use the box before leaving the house (not like a kid where you can lock them in the bathroom until they go). Needless to say, my coat required laundering after travel. The 2nd time she did better, but still gets panicky a little. She doesn't like the louder vehicle we were in. We should be in a quieter one the next trips. She's had a harness before, but actually crawled her way out of it. It was almost so tight it was cutting into her, but I should have renamed her Houdini! This was after she was "checking out" the bottom of the neighbors truck. It's always exciting with cats. They don't have the listening and pleasing desire that most dogs have. So independent. But she is my child and entertainment. It's lonely when she's not around.

Posted by svonbal1 on May 6, 2015 12:44 pm

I will be travelling with my 2 basset hounds.  I'm wondering what the best way to manage their medical needs is.  I say a few apps for iPad to keep track of shots and annual check ups.  Do you just go to a new vet when you change locations.  Are vets willing to treat dogs  just for one visit or just for a rabies shot, for example.  Just looking to get some hints on how to keep my "kids" healthy while we are on the road :)

Posted by traveltrip on Aug 11, 2015 3:24 pm

I have been traveling with 2 chihuahuas now for 3 years. I got them when I was on an assignment during a Petco adoption
fair. I have a shot record book from petsmart and carry it with me always. Yes we had rabie shot in WA state and distemper in NM. Look for shot clinics and freebies, go to the local humanane societies they will happily direct you. We have had fun and havent had problems, its just like me when I have gotten sick "Doc in a box"!!! The biggest challenge is dog friendly housing!!!

Posted by Eselpee on Mar 16, 2016 6:35 pm

e23ff690eb93c964eeb41e90b101be9a-huge-au
Mr. August will be traveling with me. We start next week  =)

Posted by phil001 on Dec 15, 2016 9:31 pm

No, I don't travel with my pet. But, I make sure that he is in safe hands whenever I go on a holiday..

Posted by greenshade on Jan 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Of course I do, can't be without him!

Posted by joshkramer42 on Mar 22, 2017 9:57 am

I travel with my 2 year old Boston Terrier.  It took her a bit to adapt on my first assignment but she's doing well.  I use a pet service called Rover (look it up in the app store for your phone) that allows me to find people in my area who are available to walk her on days when I'm on call or go to their house for a day camp.  It's worked out really well for me so far and I highly recommend it!  They app is secure, they have ways of checking out the people who take care of your pet, and you even get pictures and updates and a map of where they walked on their trip.

Posted by Lovendoz on May 24, 2017 5:45 am

Yes, I usually take my pets along with me. I can't stay without them.

Move forward